neděle 6. května 2012

Mental Illness.


Sorry if this is rocky, it’s incredibly hard to write about, I’m trying. 

  I have schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, psychotic depression, impulse control disorder, borderline personality disorder along with other things. 

  When I was about 13 I started waking up hearing screaming. I heard people running down the halls. I heard people dying. I didn’t get diagnosed with schizophrenia until I was about 15. It just started getting worse and worse.  It went from just hearing noises, to hearing voices, to the voices never stopping, to seeing things.

  I was convinced that my boarding schools were haunted at first. I heard footsteps and people running down halls. They were always screaming like they were trying to get away from something. The screams were blood curdling…like they were being murdered. I could never sleep because of it; my friends just thought I was mad. I would wander around the halls trying to find the source of the noises but nothing was ever there. 

  It slowly evolved into hearing voices. It was just at night at first; I’d hear people screaming my name, calling out to me violently like they were trying to kill me. I’d hear them threatening me, telling me how awful I am and how I should just kill myself. The voices were so loud I couldn’t hear anybody or my own thoughts over them. Eventually it just didn’t go away. All day every day I’d hear the voices. I couldn’t concentrate in class, I couldn’t hear my friends talking to me…the only thing I could focus on were the voices. I never slept because of it. 

  The voices became more and more morbid. I’d hear my mother dying, screaming at me to save her, describing what was happening as she was being murdered. I’d hear my sister screaming as my dad killed her. I’d hear small children’s voices begging me to help them, as I heard beatings happening. A common voice I’d hear would be a man with a deep voice. He’d describe how he’d kill me and would constantly scream at me, telling me I’m worthless, urging me to kill myself. 

  Eventually my teachers started noticing me constantly panicking in class, or talking to myself as I begged them to go away. I was sent to a psychiatrist and immediately was given medication. The medication never helped so I had to keep going back. Eventually I was on 6 times the recommended amount and they wouldn’t allow me to have anymore. The medication didn’t necessarily make the voices go away; it…turned the volume down. Instead of 2 or 3 people screaming at me it became 20 people whispering. 

  For the past 4 years I’ve heard the constant whispering with screaming occasionally thrown in, mostly when I’m stressed or having a bipolar episode, and always at night.  The most disturbing part is that it’s evolved from just the voices, to visual things. Once again, it started at night. If I fall asleep I’ll wake up to screaming, when I open my eyes I’ll see my entire room on fire, melting. There will be people on fire, asking me to help them. For some reason I feel like I’m pinned down, so I can never move…I just have to wait until the flames engulf me. Sometimes I wake up and I see Sunny hanging in front of me, blood everywhere. When I walk around corners I can see children being dragged away, trails of blood behind them. When I walk down the streets I see people’s faces melting off…until all I see is their skulls…dead bodies walking all around me. I can’t drive because I constantly hit “people” and start panicking. I occasionally see scenes from the things that happened to me as a kid..like waking up to someone shoving a needle in my eye. I can sometimes feel what’s happening…it’s not the exact intensity as it would really be like though. 

  I completely know that it’s me, that I’m the crazy one, it isn’t reality…I just can’t seem to understand that when it’s happening. You know when you wake up in the middle of the night, look at the clock and see it’s 3am, but can’t comprehend the time and just start getting ready? You know that it’s 3am, but you just convince yourself the time is wrong anyways. That’s what happens to me, I know that it’s just all in my head but I just convince myself that it’s real….and it fucking terrifies me. 

  There’s only three ways I can make it stop even for a minute, drugs, talking to/ being around someone I care about or actually listening to the voices. 

  I’m constantly high. I can’t handle being sober. Weed sometimes helps, it makes the voices less violent so I can actually concentrate, but it doesn’t make me stop seeing things. I generally go for stronger drugs, even if it makes it all stop for an hour and come back a million times worse later it’s worth it to me. I hate being on drugs. I don’t want to do this. I don’t want to be a drug addict…I just want to be normal. I just want peace for two seconds. 

  Talking to someone I care about can make it stop for a little while too. Even texts help. When Sunny was alive it would all stop the second I was anywhere near him. You have no idea how amazing it is to finally be in silence for a minute. That’s why I’m so clingy…I NEED that minute. It doesn’t work with everyone, there are only 3 people it actually works with…one who I’ve never talked to in person and lives across the world. 

  The last thing that actually helps is listening to the voices. If they tell me to cut…I cut. When they say to cut, it isn’t just a scratch. I have to cut to the bone to get them to shut up for an hour. I have impulse control disorder as well, so as soon as I get stitches I have to bite them and pull them out…so I NEVER have clear arms. If I don’t do anything to relieve myself from the voices for too long they get worse, telling me to kill myself. Telling me how they want me to kill myself. I give in about once a month and try...I usually try and cut out all my veins. The more blood, the more silence. My friends are paranoid so they usually catch me and I only have to spend a few days in the hospital. 

  Mixed with bipolar disorder the schizophrenia get’s even worse. With bipolar disorder I get “episodes” of a never ending sadness, happiness or anger. It can last between a day and a year. My longest one was a year of constant depression. They usually last about a week, usually once a month. When my depression episodes come on the schizophrenia get’s a million times worse. It’s pretty much impossible for me to get out of an episode once I’m in one. I’ve learned to hide it so people don’t hate me though. I have psychotic depression so my bipolar episodes are depression 90% of the time. The difference between psychotic depression is that psychotic depression makes you paranoid and it’s more intense. I become paranoid that everyone hates me or I feel guilty.

  I have borderline personality disorder as well. Most people think it means I have split personalities, but I don’t. It makes my personality change in a way frequently. It’s not that I’m changing…it’s just my interests and…values? One minute I can be completely head over heels in love, and another minute I’ll despise that person. My interests change all the time, usually this shows through what I’m doing in university. I’ve had 17 different majors.   With BPD I get episodes of nothing. I feel absolutely nothing mentally or physically. The best way to describe it is it’s like there’s cotton in my brain, I feel like a zombie. I can’t have relationships because I can’t feel love. I get hurt constantly because I can’t feel pain. BPD makes me really clingy because I feel like everyone has abandoned me. If someone I care about leaves me I completely lose it. I can’t be alone. BPD makes it difficult to gauge how bad something is, so I frequently overdose or binge eat, and then make myself throw up. 

  Impulse control disorder shows itself through trichotillomania, (pulling my hair out), or in weird habits. I don’t pull out the hair on my head anymore; I’m more likely to pull out the hair on my legs/arms which isn’t too bad. I don’t actually notice what I’m doing, I’m completely unaware. When I turn on a faucet I have to turn it off and turn it on again before I can use it, I have to close drawers twice, turn off and on lights twice, put my glasses on twice and light my cigarettes 3 times. Once again, I don’t notice I’m doing it, but if I do I have a complete panic attack. 

  I also have post traumatic stress disorder (you can find out why here…). I have constant flashbacks about what happened to me. If you ask me about it in person I’ll “turn off”. My brain and body just stop working and I can’t get anything out. When I fall asleep all I see is what happened to me. I can’t sleep near other people because I wake up screaming every few hours…my dreams are SO vivid and realistic. I blame everyone for what happened and I have no idea why. 

  I take about 27 medications every few hours to even function. I have no idea if this is my real personality or if it’s just the medication.

  I’m not writing this for sympathy, I just want people to understand that I’m not trying to be emo or an asshole. I’m absolutely not crazy; I can live a normal life. I don’t want people to think they should treat me differently because of this. I’m a normal person; I just have obstacles I have to get around. 

I’m so worried people are going to think I’m insane after I post this…